In 1926, Little Flower Parish had a humble beginning in a blacksmith shop converted into a chapel at the corner of North Bend Road and Colerain Avenue. Soon after, plans were drawn for the original church and school. Archbishop John T. McNicholas granted permission to start construction in July of 1928. The church and school were completed in March of 1929.
A memorial rose garden honoring St. Therese, the Little Flower, was completed in 1930. Devotion to St. Therese began with the completion of the rose garden. It grew rapidly. People from all over the country began traveling to our parish, which became known as the “The Shrine of the Little Flower.” In 1937, a nine-day Novena to St. Therese, The Little Flower drew over 50,000 people.
The parish continued to grow over the years. In the 1950’s additional school classrooms were built. On April 9, 1961 our present church was completed and dedicated by Bishop Paul F. Liebold and Archbishop Karl J. Alter. A bulging school was remedied in 1964 with construction of the junior high wing and cafeteria enlargement. In 1996, a new school office and meeting rooms were added to the school and a parish center, consisting of a combination gymnasium and auditorium, was completed.
Through the generosity of our parishioners, a beautiful new electronic organ was installed in church in 2006.
As a result of our efforts to continue to provide an affordable, quality Catholic education for our children, St. Therese Little Flower Parish, along with the parishes of St. Ann in Groesbeck, St. Margaret Mary in North College Hill, and Assumption in Mt. Healthy, joined together to establish a regional school. Our Lady of Grace Catholic School (OLG) was established in 2008 as an entity operated by the four covenant parishes. It is located on the St. Ann Parish campus at 2940 West Galbraith Rd. in Groesbeck.
Parish Boundaries: Located in the heart of Mt. Airy at the intersection of Kirby Avenue and Colerain Avenue, St. Therese Little Flower Parish includes the area starting on the northwest corner at a point west of Loretta Lane and Earl Avenue and bounded east on Byrneside Avenue to north on Memory Lane, then east on a straight line as the crow flies from the intersection of Memory Lane and Banning Road to the intersection of Northern Avenue and Savannah Avenue, then south on Savannah Avenue to south on Oakwood, crossing Belmont Avenue on a line to Glenview Avenue, then south on Glenview to the intersection of Kirby Avenue and Glenview Avenue, then south on a line as the crow flies to a point south of St. Anthony Monastery and north of Raeburn, then on a loop north of Raeburn to Colerain Avenue, then northwest as the crow flies to the south end of Orchardridge Lane, then north on a line to Orchard Creek and north on a line to Edalbert Drive, then north on Edalbert Drive to North Bend Road, then west on North Bend Road to Edger Drive, then north on a line to Penway Court, then north on an irregular line to include Mt. Airy Avenue, Roseann Avenue, and Wielert to Colerain Avenue and north on Colerain Avenue to Loretta Drive.